Eligible applicants receive funding to purchase any eligible home in Edison Township, Middlesex County. All homes will become deed restricted affordable homes.
Preliminary Applications are now being accepted. An average of 12 applicants per year will receive up to $60,000 in Township assistance to purchase a market rate home. After the purchase, these homes will become deed restricted affordable homes. Here is an example of how the program could work for a household of 4 with a gross annual income of $60,000:
- Current Market price of $295,000 for a 3 bedroom single family home
- Minus Township Subsidy of $50,000
- Minus Township Down Payment Assistance of $10,000
- Affordable price: $235,000!
What is unique about this program compared to other affordable housing opportunities is that YOU have the opportunity to SELECT which market rate units will become affordable. Here’s how:
- Submit a Preliminary Application online. After you submit your preliminary application, make sure you log onto your profile and choose Edison under the list of ownership municipalities. The deadline to be included in the first lottery was September 6, 2016. Lottery numbers are posted on your Affordable Homes New Jersey Profile under the Edison Ownership waiting list. You may still submit a preliminary application but applicants with the highest lottery number will be invited to look for a home to purchase first.
- Use this eligibility and affordability calculator to see if the unit may be affordable to you with the township subsidies. You may find these units yourself, or you may choose to work with a realtor to locate a market property. Property eligibility is determined by many factors including your income, the market price of the home, and how much you can provide as a down payment. Please note that the calculator is a useful tool to estimate eligibility. It is not, however, evidence of a funding commitment, approval or even proof of eligibility for your household or the selected unit. A full application will be required to determine eligibility and for us to specify the funding commitment you will be entitled to.
- Please visit Current Listings. for sample properties and more information about the subsidies.
- When we get to your name on the waiting list, we will be happy to answer your questions about the program. Applicants will be encouraged to utilize their own realtor to locate eligible properties and we will be happy to speak with your realtor about the program too.
- Please note that like all affordable housing throughout New Jersey, deed restrictions and other terms will apply.
Maximum Income Limits Per Household:
Financial Assistance to Purchase Home
Qualified participants may be eligible for a $50,000 Township subsidy to permanently write down the purchase price (and resale value) of a home. That subsidy does not have to be repaid.
Applicants may also be eligible for $10,000 in down payment assistance in the form of a ten-year loan which has zero interest, zero monthly payments, and is fully forgiven after ten years, and will not have to be repaid.
Obtaining a Mortgage
Interested buyers must be able to secure financing. This list of lenders is familiar with affordable housing in New Jersey. If you do not plan to secure a mortgage from a contact on this list, please notify CGP&H and inform your lender that you are purchasing an affordable deed restricted home and that the affordability controls survive foreclosure.
Most buyers of affordable homes choose to work with an attorney to handle the closing. The attorney will be able to assist you with other aspects of purchasing the home. This list of attorneys is familiar with affordable housing closings.
How to Apply:
Click here to complete the Preliminary Application online. Completing the Preliminary Applications online is fast and simple. If you have already submitted a preliminary application, use your personalized Profile Link to visit your profile to join the Edison waiting list.
Homes for Sale
Please visit Current Listings for additional information. Use this eligibility and affordability calculator to see if any home on the market in Edison may be affordable to you with the township subsidies. Existing deed restricted homes are not eligible for this program.